DO-IT-YOURSELF MOLD REMOVAL IN BATHROOMS
Bathroom mold is one of the most common problems in any house. The problem occurs primarily because mold loves damp, dark, isolated spaces. The dampest, most isolated room in your house is likely the bathroom.
Non-porous materials (such as metals, glass, and hard plastics) that are visibly moldy can typically be removed by following 4 main steps:
Select a cleaning agent such as Hydrogen peroxide commonly used in mold remediation. Hydrogen peroxide found in stores is usually a 3% solution, and should work fine on non-porous surfaces but more difficult mold may need a 9% – 20% solution. Take caution though, at 11%, it will burn skin.
Be sure to wear gloves and protective clothing during the scrubbing and agitating process. All items used during cleaning should be thoroughly cleaned or discarded afterwards to prevent the transfer of spores to other potential porous or semi-porous materials.
Mold growth on tile and grout can usually be removed through use of hydrogen peroxide (or other cleaning agents) and a good scrubbing, but if permanent discoloration and persistent mold growth is the norm consider replacing the grout in your bathroom with a latex-fortified version which is more resistant to water and moisture accumulation.
Increase the air circulation by running your bathroom fans regularly – About 15 minutes a day should do the trick. Consider installing a bathroom fan timer. Additionally, if there is a window in your bathroom, keep it cracked as often as possible.