Are You an Emotional Eater?
Are you an emotional eater? If you eat out of boredom, while celebrating, or vegging in front of the TV, you're probably an emotional eater. First of all, lots of people suffer from this, so know that you're not alone!
Here are some quick tips on how to overcome emotional eating:
1. Be fully engaged in your meals. This helps you brain process that you're actaully full. This may mean turning off the TV or computer during meal time to prevent over-eating.
2. Try distracting yourself. Keep your hands busy with a craft or painting your nails.
3. Never deprive yourself. If you can't stop thinking about whatever you're craving, just have a little bit of it. For example, if you're craving chocolate, let yourself have a 1 oz square.
4. Get enough sleep. Try getting 6-8 hours of sleep every night. Lack of sleep causes stress and in turn makes you crave unhealthy foods
5. Exercise. If you're exercising at least 30 mins a day, you won't be as prone to blowing it and eating food your don't really need.
6. Eat 5 small meals a day (3 meals, 2 snacks). If you're eating every few hours, you won't let yourself get so hungry that you constantly think about food and crave unhealthy snacks.
7. Find a hobby. Do something new that engages your brain and gets our adrinalin pumping. This will distract your from down time and being bored....leading to eating.